22 August 2017

Watford 2 Bristol City 3: Jose Holebas sent off as Freddie Hinds and Bobby Reid wipe out Etienne Capoue’s opener

MARCO SILVA was brought crashing down to earth after Watford slumped to a shock defeat to Bristol City.

The Portuguese boss, who arrived in the summer, suffered his first defeat in charge of the Hornets.

Bobby Reid celebrates making it 2-1 to Bristol City at Vicarage Road
Marco Silva’s Premier League side are out of the Carabao Cup

And it means Watford crashed out of the League Cup once again against a lower league side – after losing at home to League One Gillingham at the same stage of last season.

It had looked so good for Watford when Etienne Capoue handed the hosts the lead.

But the Robins set up the big upset of the night when Freddie Hinds, Bobby Reid and Niclas Eliasson struck.

Adrian Mariappa’s late strike was scant consolation on a poor night for the Hornets.

Watford, who beat Bournemouth last weekend to remain unbeaten in the Premier League, fielded a strong team in a bid to maintain their momentum.

The fit-again Troy Deeney was recalled to lead the line.

Bournemouth 0-2 Watford: Brazilian Richarlison scored his first Premier League goal before Etienne Capoue netted from the bench
Freddie Hinds nets Bristol City's first
Getty Images
Jose Holebas is given his marching orders
Getty Images

And he almost marked his first start of the season with an early opener.

The Hornets captain rose unmarked but sent his header narrowly past Frank Fielding’s post.

A drab game took 38 minutes to spark into life when Callum O’Dowda’s half-volley flew straight into the arms of goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

But Watford opened the scoring straight after the break when Capoue blasted his effort past Fielding.

A slick move saw debutant Will Hughes, who arrived from Derby for £8million, exchanged passes with Capoue before the Frenchman fired home for his second goal in three days.

Capoue is back in favour under Silva after a pre-season bust-up and did his first-team hopes no harm with another fine finish.

Harry Arter pretends to be a Watford player and shouts at Nathaniel Chalobah to leave the ball and miss a shooting chance
Robins manager Lee Johnson celebrates his side's upset

That lead last just 12 minutes as Hinds curled fired home into the bottom corner.

And Vicarage Road was left stunned when Reid stole in to fire the Championship club, who fielded a second-string side, into the lead after 67 minutes.

Watford pushed forward and almost hauled themselves level via Brazilian new boy Richarlison, only for his header to strike the foot of the post.

Silva threw on Andre Gray in a desperate bid to and he would soon be denied his first goal by Fielding’s heroics.

It would get worse for Watford when Jose Holebas saw red for a second bookable offence in the 88th minute – with Swedish winger Elisasson going up the other end to net.

Mariappa headed home Ben Watson’s late free-kick but it wasn’t enough to prevent a giant-killing.

Please follow and like us:


Write a comment

6+10 = ?