logo

Modified U.S. travel ban effective with another court challenge

 


Accra, June 30,
(UPI/GNA) – A modified executive order banning people from certain countries
from traveling to the United States has gone into effect as opponents filed an
emergency court order.

The limited version
of an order temporarily banning travel from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria
and Yemen, all Muslim-majority countries, was implemented at 8 p.m. Thursday.

Senior
administration offi

. A modified executive order banning people from certain countries
from traveling to the United States has gone into effect as opponents filed an
emergency court order.

The limited version
of an order temporarily banning travel from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria
and Yemen, all Muslim-majority countries, was implemented at 8 p.m. Thursday.

Senior
administration officials expected that the ban would go smoothly and without
the chaos and protests that greeted the original travel ban earlier this year,
The Washington Post said. Advocates and immigration lawyers were at airports on
the U.S. East and West coasts nonetheless to observe the execution of the order
and to offer help. There were minimal reports of problems at U.S. airports.

The U.S. Supreme
Court said Monday it will review appeals against President Donald Trump’s
temporary restrictions, although portions of the executive order could go into
effect in the meantime.

The Supreme Court
ruled that close family members and those with a demonstrable reason to be in
the United States, such as a provable job opportunity or admission to a U.S.
school, can enter the country. The Trump administration interpreted the ruling
to mean that certain relationships do not qualify for entry, including:
grandparents, grandchildren, uncles, aunts, cousins and fiancées to enter;
sons-in-law, daughters-in-law and stepchildren. Advocates and lawyers
criticized the family list as capricious.

Lawyers for the
state of Hawaii filed an emergency motion against it in federal court in Hawaii
less than 1 hour prior to the start of the ban. It argued that the list of
relatives should be expanded and that the government should not forbid entry to
refuges “who already have a documented agreement with a local sponsor and
a place to live.”

The State Department
on Wednesday sent a long set of instructions to U.S. diplomatic posts around
the world advising them of new rules and procedures for entry to the United
States.

 

Please follow and like us:

Etiketler:
Share
#

Write a comment

1+5 = ?