logo

24 July 2017

Laptop explosion injures woman in Canterbury

THE aftermath of a laptop that blew up while it was charging, injuring a woman and sparking spotfires, should serve as a warning.

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade released these photos of the damage caused by the exploding laptop.

A LAPTOP left on a charger has exploded, injuring a woman and causing spotfires at a home in Canterbury in Melbourne’s inner east.

The woman was hurt when her laptop exploded just after midnight.

It caused spot fires in the bedroom of the Prospect Hill Rd property, but the occupants were able to put them out before fire crews arrived.

The explosion left burn marks in the floor. Source: MFB

The explosion left burn marks in the floor. Source: MFBSource:Supplied

It also scorched a lamp, book case and the wall. Source: MFB

It also scorched a lamp, book case and the wall. Source: MFBSource:Supplied

A woman in her 20s was hurt and was treated at the scene.

The recall of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 after some devices caught fire has put the spotlight on phone batteries and the suppliers. This is how batteries can malfunction.

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the laptop was left on continuous charge, causing it to overheat.

The owner was using an after market battery that had been bought online.

Investigators returned to the home this morning for further investigations, and released photos as a warning to other computer owners.

MORE: DRIVER BAILED AFTER RAMMING POLICE CAR

Originally published as What happens if your laptop explodes

Please follow and like us:

Share
#

Write a comment

6+4 = ?