logo

13 June 2016

“ISIL ……………..50 dead

ISIL claims responsibility“ISIL claims responsibility” for Orlando gay nightclub shooting that left 50 dead

ISIL’s news agency, Amaq, claims a ‘fighter’ from the Islamist militant group was responsible for the mass shooting that killed 50 people and wounded 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

“The armed attack that targeted a gay nightclub in the city of Orlando in the American state of Florida which left over 100 people dead or injured was carried out by an Islamic State fighter,” Amaq said.

The FBI had already announced that it was probing possible links to radical Islamist terrorism after the worst mass shooting in modern US history.

US officials cautioned, however, that they had no immediate evidence of any direct connection with ISIL or any other foreign extremist group, nor had they uncovered any contacts between the gunman and any such group.

The shooter at the Pulse nightclub has been named as Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old Florida resident and US citizen.

A top US congressman said Mateen may have pledged allegiance to ISIL.

Earlier Rep. Peter King of the Homeland Security Committee says the suspect was Afghan and had weapons training.

The shooting started at 2 o’clock on Sunday morning local time. Three hours later, hostages were still being held.

“The decision was made to rescue hostages that were in there,” Orlando Police Chief John Mina told reporters.

“Our SWAT officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect. The suspect is dead. He appeared to be carrying a rifle, an assault gun rifle and a handgun and had some type of device on him.”

The gunman entered the nightclub after exchanging fire with a police officer working as a security guard there.

Pulse was crowded with some 350 revellers at a Latin music night when the attack happened.

 

Please follow and like us:

Share
#

Write a comment

8+6 = ?