Court adjourns Mahama murder case

By Hafsa
Obeng, GNA

Accra, July 19, GNA – An Accra Central
District court hearing the case of the murder of Major Maxwell Mahama in
Denkyira Obuasi in the Central Region, has commended the prosecution for acting
expeditiously to prosecute the case.

Presiding Magistrate, Mr Ebenezer Kwaku Ansah
said the prosecution for once have dealt with the matter speedily and that
personally he was happy about the turnout of events so far since the matter was
brought before him.

“I am very happy at your pace and I urge you
to deal with other matters that do not have State interest the same way you are
doing with this.”

Mr Ansah made the remarks on Wednesday when
the 19 suspects being held in for the murder appeared before the court.

Earlier, when the case was called, the
prosecution being led by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) George Amega
prayed the court for a short adjournment, saying they have travelled very far
with their investigations.

He told the court that the accused persons for
now are being detained in police custody at different locations, but for
security reasons they would want the court to remand them into prison custody,
where they would be much safer.

He said the duplicate docket was ready for transmission
to the Attorney General’s Office, while the rest of the accused persons at
large are being sort for and would be in arms of the law soon.

Counsel for six of the accused persons told
the court they had no objections to the prosecutions plea, but pray that the
trial would start soon, since there are human right issues that would be coming
up during the course of the trial.

He said “our case is that this issue is a
serious matter for our clients, their families and the nation as a whole, and
the law states that you cannot hold someone for too long without proving his
guilt of otherwise, so a delay in starting a trial would create problems.”

He noted that they were mindful of the
possible application for bail for their clients, but they would hold on with
that, believing that they are much safer in the hands with the police.

Following this, the court remanded the
suspects into prison custody for their own safety and to lessen the burden of
them being transported from various location to court.

The case was adjourned to August 3, 2017.

At the last adjourned date, the court
discharged 13 of the 32 suspects initially allegedly charged with the murder
per the prayer of the prosecution.

The prosecution asked that the court to
discharge all accused persons, because further investigations have led them to
charge 19 out of the 32.

He said some of them would be used by the
prosecution as witnesses.


Please follow and like us:


Write a comment

1+3 = ?